When I was growing up I struggled mightily with my weight. I tried every diet in the world, lived on restricted calories and diet soda. I eventually graduated to more aggressive methods by trying diet pills and even spent a miserable summer at a diet camp. Nothing worked. Yet, I was so desperate to lose weight and keep it off that I routinely tried every diet, supplement or pill that promised results. In the end, all it did was leave me feeling like a failure… a failure with anxiety, hair loss and sleeplessness as side effects of some of the pills I tried. It was the worst of the vicious cycle.
Eventually I got a handle on things and I did so by abandoning the idea that there was a pill or potion out there that was going to make a difference. I also stopped dieting and instead focused on changing my habits. And there began the journey to the solution.
In today’s Motivational Monday I am going to share with you my thoughts on dietary supplements that promote the promise of weight loss. I am also going to speak about how I feel about diet fads that promise big results in little time. And then I will share with you the very best way you can go about losing weight and keeping it off. If you engage this method, it will not only help you lose weight, but will also start you on the path of lasting health.
Once you’ve watched the video, I want you to really think about and decide what change you are going to make to help start you down the road to health. One thing that you are going to commit to in order to get you closer to your goals. Whether it’s changing breakfast, quitting diet soda, or starting an exercise routine, I want to hear what you are going to do to move yourself along the path to health.
Just so you know you’re not alone, I am going to commit right here that I’m going to drink green tea rather than black tea moving forward. That’s my goal. I may not be perfect at it all the time, but it will be my practice until it’s my habit.
I can’t wait to hear what practice you choose for yourself! To help you, I’ve included a list of possible practices you can try… I’ll follow up with you down the road to hear how it’s going, and of course, report back about my own progress.
Have a great Monday everyone!
Ideas for your one single change!
- Start your day with a protein breakfast (ideally, eggs with some green vegetables!)
- Cut down on your sugar intake. Start making plans to move away from artificial sweeteners if those are your preference
- Exercise every day (whether this means going for a 20-minute run or a yoga class every day, or walking around the block, or a 10-minute dance around the apartment. Choose one, and make it happen
- Get adequate sleep
- Cut out junk and processed food. Maybe this means a complete pantry overhaul, or maybe you just start with making replacing one prepackaged meal a day with a healthier homemade option to begin with.
- Drink plenty of water
- Replace soda, soft drinks, and juices with a healthier alternative. Ideally water, but if need be, naturally flavored and unsweetened water options
- Prepare your own meals instead of relying on last-minute store options or take out. Some thought and preparation can make all the difference!
- Learn to love and eat vegetables!
- Eat a daily salad
- Drink a daily green juice
- Replace sugary and salty snacks with healthier options
- Something of your own choosing!
Don’t beat yourself up for falling off the wagon, and simply resolve to continue your efforts. A good lifestyle is not built in a day, it’s built in a lifestyle of habits.