Happy Monday everyone!
What a beautiful weekend we just had in NYC! Sunny, blue skies, with a lovely chill in the air, especially in the mornings and in the evenings… the perfect weather for a springtime soup.
The most amazing vegetables come into season in the Spring. Asparagus, dandelion, peas to name a few… Asparagus are great for liver and kidney health and dandelion is wonderful for detoxification. Combining them all into an aromatic minestrone seemed like just the thing to have these past few nights to take the chill off.
In today’s Motivational Monday I am going to show you how to make a delicious spring Minestrone that takes just minutes to prepare. All you’ll need are a few seasonal vegetables, rice pasta and broth and you’ll have dinner in minutes.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. One you watch the video, I’d love to hear from you… What is YOUR favorite Spring vegetable? And what’s your preferred way to prepare it? I’d love to hear what’s cooking in your kitchen 🙂
Have a great Monday and a wonderful start to your week!
Make 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small scallions (or 4 medium), sliced thin (whites and pale green parts)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered sliced
- 1 1/2 cup diced asparagus
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup dandelion greens, chopped
- 2 cups assorted baby greens (kale, chard, spinach), chopped
- 1-15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice pasta
- 1 1/2 Quart of broth (vegetable or chicken work well)
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced chives
- Minced basil
- Sun-dried tomato or basil pesto
In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and scallions, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano and cook until scallions have softened and garlic and herbs are fragrant. Add zucchini and asparagus and cook about 4 minutes. Add broth and garbanzo beans and simmer about 10 minutes. Add peas and leafy greens and simmer another minute. Add pasta and turn off heat. Let stand for about 15 minutes to let flavors meld, adjust salt and pepper and then serve with any of the garnishes above.