Happy Monday everyone!
I am so enjoying spring vegetables this year and am making the most of them by coming up with easy recipes to get them in my diet as much as possible while they are in season. The beginning of spring is such a joy!
My most recent creation is a Warm Quinoa Salad recipe made with lovely green vegetables that are so vibrant in color and amazing for your health. If you are a vegetarian you’ll particularly benefit from this dish as quinoa is a carbohydrate grain that is a rich source of protein. So if you are looking for an alternative protein source other than cheese, or tofu, this would make an excellent main dish with a side salad. For those of you that are looking for alternatives to rice, pasta or potatoes, this would be perfect to serve as a side to your fish or chicken entrees.
As with all of my recipes, this is easy to make and takes very little time, so can easily be assembled at the end of a busy day.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! And I would love to hear your feedback on it once you’ve tried it.
Always nice to hear from you!
Have a great week and stay well!
Make 4 to 6 servings.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 small scallions sliced thin (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 small green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped (be careful to not touch your eyes after handling the seeds)
- 1 medium zucchini quartered and diced
- 4 spears asparagus, diced
- 1 cup mixed baby greens, shredded (baby kale, chard, spinach)
- 1 cup dandelion greens, shredded
- 1/2c peas (fresh or frozen)
- 6 to 8 ounces broth (vegetable or chicken both work well)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a combination of red and white but either work well)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Himalayan salt and pepper
- One ounce raw cashews, chopped
Heat olive oil in pan with 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt and pinch of pepper. Add garlic and scallions. Cook for a minute and add chives and green chillies, cooking for another minute. Add zucchini and asparagus and cook for a few minutes until they soften a bit. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add leafy greens and peas and stir into mixture. Add quinoa and allow to cook until all liquid is absorbed.
Mix in lemon juice and cashews. Adjust salt and pepper to taste preference and serve.