A great way to get loads of vegetables into your diet is with soups. Because of the liquid volume, you can literally get 3 servings (or more) of vegetables into a bowl of soup! Here is a delicious and healthy minestrone soup recipe that’s perfect for the Autumn!
- 10 ounces lean turkey sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- One 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- One bunch broccoli rabe, cleaned and chopped
- One 15 ounce can of cannelini beans, rinsed
- One quart chicken or vegetable broth
- One quart water
- ½ tsp Salt or to taste preference
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Saute crumbled turkey sausage in a soup pot until cooked. Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent. Add carrots, celery and potato. Stir for a couple of minutes and then add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, broth and water. Simmer, covered, for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally. Add beans and broccoli rabe and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve plain or with a little parmesan cheese.